Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Convincing the query planner to play nice

Yep, the effective_cache_size was specifically because we have lots of RAM to play with, and want to ensure we are caching wherever possible.
The reduced random_page_cost was primarily to allow for the fact we're using relatively fast disk (indexes are SSD, table data on SAS drives), though I didn't fully appreciate how the combination of these settings can influence the preference towards a sequential vs index scan.

I think i'll stop tweaking for now, and see how it performs in the next few days.  I feel like I have a much better handle on how the planner is pulling everything together. Cheers.

Tim