Search Postgresql Archives

Re: c++ convert wchar_t to UTF-8 for DB

On 8/7/2013 8:49 AM, ciifrancesco@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4BF575E6.5060203@xxxxxxxxxxxx
I am in the situation described in the message.

except linux isn't windows, and you're probably not using GBK encoding for your database, so ... what exactly is the 'same' about your situation?

I have a char* in C++ and i want to put in my db, but most of the non ASCII charachers are broken.
So i used wchar_t, but the following function doesn't exist:

this char *, what encoding are these nonascii characters in? what client_encoding is your database connection using?

wchar is 16 bits per character, which isn't even remotely the same as char* (8 bits per char), you can't just cast a pointer to one to a pointer to the other, that would be like mixing integer and char.