Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres 9.2.4 for Windows (Vista) Dell Vostro 400, re-installation failure PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HELP!! (nearly fixed)

----- Original Message ----- From: Stephen Brearley

<Snip>

Having been able to successfully connect to Postgres using both Navicat and
pgAdmin, I then moved my \data_old back to the \9.2 folder on the D: drive,
and modified the registry reference to point to this location..however I
can't see my old tables.

I can change my registry reference to point to D:\..\9.2\data or
D:\..\9.2\data_old without any (apparently) undesirable consequences, but I
just can't see my tables in the system, which makes me think I need to do
more than this. I am unable to rename \data to move all my old files
wholesale into that folder, as Windows won't let me, but if I move \base
which appears to have all the database in it (and is about double the size
in my old dataset), I get the same result, I can't see my tables.

I realise Thomas at least will frown most deeply at these 'operations',
though they often work as a low-tech solution in many programs. Clearly the
best result would be able to pg_dump from my old data and pg_restore it
into my new set up, but it seems I am not able to properly see my old data
in the first place.

You could try:

   1. Changing the registry entry to point to the default data location on
the C: drive
   2. Using pg_ctl to point postgresql to D:\..\9.2\data or
D:\..\9.2\data_old

George

<Snip>