Search Postgresql Archives

Distributed systems and primary keys

Hello list,

Can anyone point me to some reading material on how auto-generated sequence primary keys are handled on distributed systems? I think the advice used to be to use GUIDs, but I thought I read somewhere that PostgreSQL now assigns a pool of numbers to each node when a sequence is implemented. I have searched the PostgreSQL 9.1.5 Documentation, but apparently my search terms are not quite what it takes, or dreamt that up.

Thanks,
Melvin