Search Postgresql Archives

Re: File System backup

On 06/21/2013 10:37 AM, itishree sukla wrote:
No, as its only one postgresql is running with default installation,
server got restatared with out shuting down postgresql service properly.
Then i tied to start server using ./init.d command, which didn't help me
either. Then i created pstmaster.pid, that also doesn't help me much.

So what messages did you see at the console when you ran the /init.d script?

Regards,
Itishree

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Amit Langote <amitlangote09@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:amitlangote09@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM, itishree sukla
    <itishree.sukla@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:itishree.sukla@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
     > Hi all,
     >
     > Can any one give me more suggestion, about this problem. Every
    time my os
     > got restart, postmaster.pid is missing. After that createing
    postmaster.pid
     > is also not helping to start the server.  I am using postgresql
    9.2 in
     > ubuntu, with default installation. Is there any possibility i can
    take the
     > Data directory backup, and install postgresql server, then
    restore Data
     > directory. Will it work to get back my databases.

    Can you tell what command you use to start the server and when you
    issue it? Is that after OS restarts?) Did you, by any chance, use
    "restart" whereas you should have used "start" assuming you are using
    pg_ctl for the same?

    Issuing "restart" requires that you should already have server running
    (and that means postmaster.pid should be there in data directory).

    --
    Amit Langote

--
Adrian Klaver