Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Order by with column ordinal and collate - fails to parse

On 06/20/2013 07:05 AM, Tim Kane wrote:
Hi all,

I seem to be having problems constructing a query that combines the use
of distinct, order by, and collate key words.

For instance:

# select distinct(value)  from properties order by 1 collate "C";
ERROR:  collations are not supported by type integer
LINE 1: ... distinct(value)  from properties order by 1 collate "C...
                                                              ^

How about:

select distinct(value) collate "C" from properties order by 1 ;

Am I just being a numpty here? I can work around it with a subquery, but
this seems like a bug to me. Particularly the first example where my
ordinal field reference is treated as an integer literal. I should note
that the field 'value' is of type 'text' (not integer).

Any input appreciated. Thanks :)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx