Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Exporting Data

On 06/20/2013 06:06 AM, David Johnston wrote:
guilherme wrote
I need to get some information in database and export it.

Is there a way to make PostgreSQL to export one data line to a new file?
Like this:
1 FIRST LINE --> line1.txt;
2 SECOND LINE --> line2.txt;
3 THIRD LINE --> line3.txt
and so...

I know that I can import all information into a unique file, but I need to
split that information into severel files.
I've already searched in everything and didn't find a solution.

Can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt it.  You should export to a single file then use another tool to
perform the split.  What platform and you working on?  If its Linux using
"psql | some_splitting_command" should be doable.

I guess you put your query into a function and use procedural language
functionality to do that but I'm not sure on the necessary syntax.

There may be third-party ETL tools that fulfill this need as well.

One I recently ran across is Dataset:

https://github.com/pudo/dataset

Docs:

https://dataset.readthedocs.org/en/latest/

In particular freezefile:

https://dataset.readthedocs.org/en/latest/freezefile.html

"mode specifies whether the query output is to be combined into a single file (list) or whether a file should be generated for each result row (item)."

David J.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx