Search Postgresql Archives

Re: databse version

On 6/10/2013 12:52 AM, Philipp Kraus wrote:
I'm creating a database and I have got a table with a "version" field. Can I update on structure changes (DDL) like create / update table increment this field automatically? I would like to create a versionizing for my database which counts the changes. IMHO I need a trigger, which is run if a DDL statement is fired on the database

so if someone runs a script that does a half dozen create/alters, you want to bump your version that many times?

we handle our version control by not allowing anyone to make direct changes, instead all changes need to be made with .sql scripts, of which we maintain two sets, one to create a new schema version x.y, and the other to update x.y-1 to x.y. and yes, part of these scripts stores the version in a configuration table of (key,value) pairs, like ('version','x.y')