Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PSA: If you are running Precise/12.04 upgrade your kernel.

On 07/06/13 08:35, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

Hello,

I had the distinct displeasure of staying up entirely too late with a
customer this week because they upgraded to 12.04 and immediately
experienced a huge performance regression. In the process they also
upgraded to PostgreSQL 9.1 from 8.4. There were a lot of knobs to
change/fix/modify because of this. However, nothing I did fixed the
problem. Until... I upgraded the kernel.

Upgrading from 3.2Precise to the 3.9.4 kernel produced the following
results:

http://www.commandprompt.com/blogs/joshua_drake/2013/06/the_steaming_pile_that_is_precise_with_kernel_32/

I have since verified this on more than one machine as well. Upgrading
the kernel has drastically reduced overall IOWAIT times.

I'd be curious to hear if the same problem applies to the 3.2 kernel that's in the recently-released Debian "Wheezy"?

(My ubuntu precise boxes have been running the backported kernels for a while, as it is, but some debian squeeze boxes are due to be upgraded to debian wheezy soon)