Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pgeu-general] Replication failover

BTW, pgeu-general is not for technical questions, so moving to pgsql-general. (I didn't notice the mailing list this came from until after replying).

On 22.05.2013 18:22, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
On 22.05.2013 10:23, TJ wrote:
I am looking to migrate my databases from one set of hardware to another
all the servers are running PGSQL 9.x

Which version exactly? There are differences in this area between 9.0,
9.1, and 9.2. If you can choose, use the latest 9.2.X version.

The problem i have is that when i fail over to server3 using the trigger
file it will increment the timeline which will stop the replication of
server4.

With 9.1 and above, it will notice the new timeline and start following
it, if you set up a WAL archive in addition to streaming replication and
set recovery_target_timeline='latest' in recovery.conf. Starting with
9.3, a standby can follow a timeline changes over streaming replication
too, so in 9.3 it should just work.

That's all assuming that server4 is behind server3; if it has already
replayed WAL beyond the point in the WAL where server3 switched to a new
timeline, it can't follow that timeline switch.

- Heikki

--
- Heikki