Search Postgresql Archives

Re: custom session variables?

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Darren Duncan <darren@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you for that.

I had actually thought of this, but it seemed to me that using a temporary table was a heavy-handed approach and that a temporary scalar variable would be more efficient or less verbose to use.

It is *a* solution certainly, and potentially a better one than the url I pointed to, but I was hoping for something less bulky.

Granted, I realize that sequence generators are basically small tables like this behind the scenes, but is there any appreciable overhead of creating and dropping a temporary table for every session?

Hi,

Maybe you must see this extension [1] ;-)

[1] http://pgxn.org/dist/session_variables/

--
Fabrízio de Royes Mello
Consultoria/Coaching PostgreSQL