Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL Downgrades

On 04/05/2013 03:33 PM, Pete Wall wrote:
Is it possible to downgrade PostgreSQL by a major version?

If I want to upgrade a PG database from 8.x to 9.x, I have to dump the db, install the new binaries and import the dump file. This works fine going forward, but what if I need to rollback my changes? I cannot dump the 9.x database and import it with 8.x binaries, because the 9.x dump contains keywords that the old binaries don't understand (e.g. REPLICATION).

I could import the original 8.x dump file again, but then I've lost any changes made when using the new binaries.

Is there a supported way to downgrade PostgreSQL by major versions?

Is it *possible*? Yes. Assuming that you haven't made use of any features that are unavailable in the old version or made any changes to accommodate differences in the new version.

Is there a *supported* way. No. You will need to do roll-your-own. It's possible that you could do a data-only dump on the new database and get away with only minor tweaks required to restore the data into an existing empty prior-version database. The feasibility depends on the nature of your data and the amount of work you are willing to do.

It might help to understand the use-case underlying your interested in progressing backward.

Cheers,
Steve