Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Oracle to PostgreSQL transition?

On 04/05/2013 08:03 AM, Robert Treat wrote:

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Szymon Guz <mabewlun@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 4 April 2013 16:16, Roy Anderson <roy.anderson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey all,

We have a very robust Oracle and SQL Server presence at work but we're
looking to farm out some of the load to PostgreSQL to limit costs. I'm
curious if there are any DBAs out there who have gone down this route
before. Any tips, tricks, failures, successes, etc.? I would just like to
hear some first-hand commentary on this topic.

Thank you so much!

Yes, we have done this for customers on more than one occasion. The single biggest tip I can give you is to remember that PostgreSQL is not Oracle. You are porting to PostgreSQL, don't expect it to act like Oracle. As long as you keep that in mind, and you aren't running RAC things are pretty straightforward. They can also be quite a bit easier (and cheaper) to get a lot of external functionality such as replication.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579