Search Postgresql Archives

Re: "Leaking" disk space on FreeBSD servers

On 03/20/2013 01:25 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

I saw something once which *might* be related.  I don't recall the
OS of FS involved, but in an attempt to reduce the fragmentation of
files which started small and eventually grew large, a large
allocation of contiguous space was made on file creation, and that
space was not release as long as any page for the file remained in
the OS cache.

That was an optimization decision made for XFS in recent kernels, and the chunks it grabs are very, very large. We had to reduce the default allocation size to 1MB to disable the elastic allocation system. In the end, we regained about 50GB of "phantom" space after a re-mount, and it's stayed that way since.

But that's what du --apparent-size is for. :)

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870