Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Similarity Search with Wildcards

On 02/28/2013 06:12 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 2/27/2013 10:35 PM, Ghislain Hachey wrote:
I have a varchar column with content such as "Client Name - Brief Description of Problem" (it's a help desk ticket system). I want to generate reports by clients and the only thing I can base my query on is this column. The client names often contain typos or are entered slightly differently. I installed the pg_trgm extension and it almost does what I want. The problem is that it searches the similarity of the whole field and not just the client name resulting in not so similar searches (I include my query below).

why isn't client name a separate field??   thats the logical approach

I know, but the system and the workflow of the staff is already in place. I was hoping to get something quick with minimal changes. I was also hoping to understand more how wildcards can be used with pg_trgm. Otherwise, I will add a field and modify the app.

Thanks,

--
GH