Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PG V9 on NFS

On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Gauthier, Dave <dave.gauthier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Can PG V9.1* support a DB that's on an NFS disk?

I googled around, but nothing popped out.

Also, would you happen to know the answer to this for MySQL v5.5*?

Thanks in Advance.

I've done this before, and I really wish I hadn't.  NFS has gotten speedier and more reliable, but the tendency to lock up an entire system and crash unexpectedly is still there.  The other thing with NFS is that it is a lot easier for people to try and run multi-headed clusters ( which, isn't supported in postgres and will cause corruption if you do it).  If network based storage is really a need, take a look at iSCSI or ATA over ethernet.  I've had great luck there.

--Scott