Search Postgresql Archives

Re: feature requests (possibly interested in working on this): functional foreign keys

(Forgot to CC the list)

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Chris Travers <chris.travers@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> What would be nice to be able to do is to be able to do something like:
> ALTER TABLE inet_assignment ADD FOREIGN KEY (network(inet_address))
> REFERENCES cidr_block(block_def);

> 2.  Are there any other major showstoppers I haven't thought of?

The information_schema can't represent such a thing, and this is
unfixable without breaking the SQL standard.  I suppose we could omit
functional FK constraints from the information_schema views, but that's
not terribly palatable.

If this were to be limited to table methods (i.e. functions where relation.function notation works), would that be sufficiently workable?

Have you considered just storing the network(inet_address) value in a
separate column (maintained by a BEFORE INSERT/UPDATE trigger) and then
using a regular FK with that?

I have.  Honestly I think the UDF + check + trigger is cleaner.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

                        regards, tom lane