Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Need help understanding WAL and checkpoints

drew_hunt wrote:
> I'm trying to get my head around WAL and checkpoints and need to ask a couple of questions before I
> get a headache.
>
> Firstly, I see the terms "WAL log", "WAL file" and "transaction log" all over the place - are these
> the same thing (i.e. files in the pg_xlog directory)?

Usually they mean the same thing.
For exact definitions, read
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL
"WAL" consists of a stream of "WAL records" and is physically
represented as "WAL segment files" (in pg_xlog).

> I'm a bit confused by this paragraph in the docs:
>
> "Checkpoints are points in the sequence of transactions at which it is guaranteed that the heap and
> index data files have been updated with all information written before the checkpoint. At checkpoint
> time, all dirty data pages are flushed to disk and a special checkpoint record is written to the log
> file. (The changes were previously flushed to the WAL files.)"
>
> ( see: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/wal-configuration.html )
>
> "a special checkpoint record is written to the log file."
>     -> which log file is meant here?

The WAL.

> "The changes were previously flushed to the WAL files."
>    -> does "previously" here mean "at a previous point in time" or "in previous PostgreSQL versions"?

The former.

>    -> at what point are changes flushed to WAL files?

The change must be on disk in a WAL segment before the
transaction can commit.

> So say I perform an operation like :
>
>   UPDATE foo SET bar='baz'
>
> are the following assumptions correct?
>
> - The first time this changed data hits the disk, it is as an entry in the WAL log
>
> - At some point a checkpoint occurs, and the changed data is written to the actual data file from
> system memory (the "dirty data pages"?)
>
> - the only time the actual data files will be updated from the WAL log (i.e. not from system memory)
> will be after a crash, when the logs are replayed from the last checkpoint?

All three are correct.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe