Search Postgresql Archives

DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint

It's currently (9.2) not possible to define DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraints. Meaning the following is not valid:

CREATE TABLE my_table(
id varchar PRIMARY KEY,
stuff_id BIGINT NOT NULL DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED
);

While it's possible to define a trigger to enforce this, like this:

CREATE CONSTRAINT TRIGGER my_table_t AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE ON onp_crm_relation DEFERRABLE INITIALLY DEFERRED
FOR EACH ROW EXECUTE PROCEDURE my_table_check_stuff_id_nn_tf();

And have the my_table_check_stuff_id_nn_tf() raise an exception if "stuff_id" is null.

Having deferrable constraints on FKs and UKs is really nice and when working with ORMs it's almost impossible to not use this feature.

Are there any plans to make NOT NULL constraints deferrable so one can avoid the trigger "boilerplate"?

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreak@xxxxxxxxxxxx>      mob: +47 909 56 963
Senior Software Developer / CTO - OfficeNet AS - http://www.officenet.no