Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What language is faster, C or PL/PgSQL?

Here is an advantage Plpgsql has: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/plpgsql-expressions.html

I guess you can offset this by creating your own prepared statements in C. Otherwise, I can’t think of how C could be slower. I would choose C for functions that don’t have SQL statements in them – e.g. math and string processing.

From: pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pgsql-general-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Karel Riverón Escobar
Sent: February 2, 2013 10:42 AM
To: pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: What language is faster, C or PL/PgSQL?

Hi people,

I need to write an algorithm for processing large amounts of data. I want to write a function on PgAdmin 3 to solve my problem. I need to know what language should be used, C or PL/PgSQL?

Needless to say, what I need is quickly. What language is faster, C or PL/PgSQL?

Greetings, Karel Riverón
University of Informatics Science