Search Postgresql Archives

Re: seeking SQL book recommendation

John R Pierce wrote on 24.01.2013 00:19:
- No SQL knowledge at all; needs to start from square 1.

- Smart, capable person, who will be in this position for a long
time, using this db for a long time.

- No chance in hell this db will be moved off PG, so PG-centric is
fine

I can't recommend any specific book as I've not read any of them (and
been doing SQL too long).  But what I *can* recommend is creating a
'sql cookbook', maybe on an internal wiki or blog,  with a bunch of
sample queries specific to YOUR database schema that solve the sorts
of problems your user base including this client are likely to come
up against.   start with the simplest things and move up to more
complex. have a paragraph or two explaining each query, and example
output.

Speaking of "cookbook": The DB2 SQL Cookbook is quite nice actually.

http://mysite.verizon.net/graeme_birchall/id1.html

Even though it's for DB2 most of it (except e.g. the XQuery stuff) can be used for PostgreSQL as well.

Thomas