Search Postgresql Archives

Re: DB alias ?

On 01/23/2013 02:08 PM, Gauthier, Dave wrote:
For each phase of a project, a new DB is created.... But in the meantime, I have to redirect them to P2_DB without changing anything in the linux environment.  I need to have the DB itself "know" that the dbname "P3_DB" really = "P2_DB" for the time being.  A simple mapping capability could do it.

I'm googling around for the connection service stuff, but its really sparse.  And its not clear where, in my linux install, I'm supposed to find the config file.  Even if I find it, I'll need a utility that the DBA can use to modify it (I won't have direct access to it for manual edit or anything like that).  But a service file concept sounds intriguing.

First, the convention on this mailing list is to bottom-post so people can follow threads. Top-posting is frowned upon.

Given your expanded description I think you should look at pgBouncer. Although it is intended as a connection pooler, the configuration allows you to set a database name on the client-facing side that is different than the actual name of the database the pooler connects to. So both p2_db and p3_db could point to real_p2_db until you update the pgBouncer config.

Depending on how you authenticate/authorize you may have to fuss with some of the password settings and to minimize client-side changes you will probably have to change PostgreSQL to listen on a different port then have pgBouncer listen on the standard 5432 so things appear unchanged to the clients.

As a bonus, the new databases can be on different machines if you choose.

http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pgbouncer/

Cheers,
Steve