Search Postgresql Archives

Re: What is the impact of "varchar_pattern_ops" on performance and/or memory

Em 22/01/2013 18:04, Tom Lane escreveu:
Edson Richter <edsonrichter@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
Almost all indexed columns of kind varchar in my database require
"varchar_pattern_ops" op class in order to make my LIKE queries more
optmized.
Is there any way to define that this operator class is the default for
my database for varchar columns?
No.  (Well, you could go and hack the catalog entries to mark it as the
default, but things would fail rather badly whenever you dump and reload
the database, because pg_dump won't dump changes to built-in objects.)

Can I change this in template database, and then get the benefit of having these changes propagated to newly created databases?

What would be the impact in terms of performance and memory consumption?
It's probably cheaper, actually, than the regular strcoll-based
comparisons.

BTW, have you considered whether you could run your database in C locale
and thus dodge the whole problem?  In C locale there's no difference
between this opclass and text_ops.

Using C locale, would I face problems with Portuguese Brazilian characters like ã, ç, é?

Thanks, Tom!

Edson

			regards, tom lane