Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Combine Date and Time Columns to Timestamp

On 01/18/2013 03:31 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
   My Web searching foo fails me, and I don't see the answer in the
postgres
docs so I hope someone here can point me in the proper direction.

   There is a table for bacteriological data that contains two columns for
the date and time the water was collected and another two columns for the
date and time the plates were read (since the latter should be less than 24
hours after the former). It would be simpler to combine each date-time pair
into a single timestamptz column. Seems to me that this can be done with
SQL within psql, but just how is not obvious to me because I've not worked
with timestamp values before.

   What is the most parsimonious way to combine the two columns into one?

How are they stored, as date and time type, strings, other?
A sample of the data would help also.

TIA,

Rich

--