Search Postgresql Archives

Case insensitive collation

The subject has been discussed on this mailing list before, recently.
To be able to switch from SQL Server to Postgresql, for me this is essential.

Therefore the question: are there plans to create a set of case insensitive, and maybe also accent insensitive collations in the near future?
I have no idea how complex this is, but it seems to me, looking at MySQL and SQL Server that it's not such a strange thing to expect from a database server.
I know I can use "lower" (even on indexes) and citext, but this feels like patchwork, and would mean a lot of work when converting our database (with 122 tables).

Regards,
Marcel van Pinxteren