Search Postgresql Archives

Re: reducing number of ANDs speeds up query RESOLVED

"T. E. Lawrence" <t.e.lawrence@xxxxxxxxxx> <CAMkU=1y6UuxPYbf_ky8DVDsJi=g=uQ1t0B6kwLEtdc7NLxB_-Q@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> On 15.01.2013, at 05:45, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> Is the autovacuum 100% reliable in relation to VACUUM ANALYZE?

>> No.  For example, if you constantly do things that need an access exclusive lock, then autovac will keep getting interrupted and never finish.

> I see.

> So, apparently, we need to interrupt the heavy imports on some reasonable intervals and do manual VACUUM ANALYZE?

Data import as such, no matter how "heavy", shouldn't be a problem.
The question is what are you doing that takes access-exclusive table
locks frequently, and do you really need to do that?

A quick look at the docs suggests that ALTER TABLE, REINDEX, or CLUSTER
would be the most likely candidates for taking exclusive table locks.

			regards, tom lane