Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Getting Mysql data into Postgres: least painful methods?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2013, Ken Tanzer wrote:

I'm wondering if anyone can point me towards a good method for moving
mysql data into Postgres?

  I had to do this last year with the ITIS (Integrated Taxonomic Information
System) maintained by the US Geological Survey.

  Some MySQL key words were immediately recognized and I used emac's
global-search-and-replace to change them to postgres words. Then I tried
reading in individual tables to a newly created database and redirected
errors to a disk file. I fixed the errors postgres identified, dropped the
table, and repeated until there were no errors. Took a bit of time but
worked just fine.

  Then I sent the USGS database maintainer a dump of the postgres database
because he wanted to migrate from mysql to postgres there. I think of it as
a public service. :-)

Rich