Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Frequent update - how to do?

On 12/19/2012 5:44 AM, grell wrote:
Firstly I will tell you what I'm trying to do:
I have a database. I have a table Person. Person has location and this
location need to be updated f.e. every 5 min or with higher frequently.
Should I have some special tool, table or whatever to keep this data? I want
to have history of location so I nned to keep old values.

so you don't just want location for each person, you want their entire path? 5 minute intervals will accumulate almost 9000 locations a month for each person. how many 'persons' in the table ?

if this location data is latitude/longitude, I'd consider using the PostGIS extension for storing it. I think I'd store locations in a separate table, with (person_id integer, ts timestamptz, location geography(POINT))

and insert each position in there.

to get the info on person $1 including his current location....

   select p.*, l.location
        from persons p join locations l on p.id=l.person_id
        where p.id=$1
        order by l.timestamptz desc limit 1;

to get person $1's path...

    select ts,location from locations where person_id=$1 order by ts;

etc etc.