Search Postgresql Archives

Re: large database

On 12/11/2012 07:27 AM, Bill Moran wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 15:26:02 -0500 (EST) "Mihai Popa" <mihai@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I've recently inherited a project that involves importing a large set of
Access mdb files into a Postgres or MySQL database.
The process is to export the mdb's to comma separated files than import
those into the final database.
We are now at the point where the csv files are all created and amount
to some 300 GB of data.

I would like to get some advice on the best deployment option.

First, the project has been started using MySQL. Is it worth switching
to Postgres and if so, which version should I use?
I've been managing a few large databases this year, on both PostgreSQL and
MySQL.

Don't put your data in MySQL.  Ever.  If you feel like you need to use
something like MySQL, just go straight to a system that was designed with
no constraints right off the bat, like Mongo or something.

I've never worked with MySQL before; I did work with Postgres a lot over the last few years, but never with such large databases, so I cannot really choose one over the other; hence my posting:)
and the fact that if you use anything other than INT AUTO_INCREMENT for
your primary key you're liable to hit on awful inefficiencies.

Unfortunately, I don't know much yet about the usage pattern; all I know is that the data is mostly read only, there will be a few updates every year, but they will probably happen as batch jobs over night. And meanwhile it appears there is a lot more of it: 800 GB rather than 300 as initially thought.
There aren't a lot of tables so each will have a large number of rows.

I guess Chris was right, I have to better understand the usage pattern and do some testing of my own. I was just hoping my hunch about Amazon being the better alternative would be confirmed, but this does not
seem to be the case; most of you recommend purchasing a box.

I want to thank everyone for the input, really appreciate it!

regards,
mihai