Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Which is faster: char(14) or varchar(14)

Em 04/12/2012 14:59, hari.fuchs@xxxxxxxxx escreveu:
Edson Richter <edsonrichter@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

In this specific case, the full length (14) is mandatory... so seems
there is no loss or gain.
Also, I see all varchar(...) created are by default "storage =
EXTENDED" (from "Pg Admin"), while other datatypes (like numeric,
smallint, integer) are "storage = MAIN".
Can I have a gain using fixed length datatype in place of current
varchar (like "numeric (14,0)")?
Or changing to "char(14) check length(doc)=14" and "storage=MAIN"?
Sounds like premature optimization to me.  I'd first express what I want
as clear as possible, e.g. "CREATE DOMAIN BrazilianCompanyId AS char(14)",
and try to spot and fix performance problems when I'm done with all that.

Actually, I already stressed performance over these fields (query optimization, indexing, reverse indexing, full text index inside PostgreSQL and outside PostgreSQL, etc). At current stage, I'm just looking for finetuning. Maybe storage is one possibility. It's already established database that I can't make big changes (even changing from varchar to decimal or bigint would not be possible because of leading zeroes).

Thanks for all that provided hints! I've learned a lot with you all.

Regards,

Edson