Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres PHP error

rahul143 wrote:
> Im receiving the following error, on a php page, conneting to postgres
7.4,
> installed on Mandrake 10.0
> <snip>
> Error Description: pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL
server:
> FATAL: sorry, too many clients already .
> </snip>
> Can anyone tell me what this means?
> Is there a performance setting I need to set under the postgresql conf
file.
> I have checked, and its set to 100 users.
> This error strangely has only happened once. Last week Monday.

The parameter is max_connections, and it seems that last week Monday
you had exhausted that limit.  You should try to figure out what caused
the problem rather than indiscriminately raising max_connections.

You could turn on log_connections, that would help finding the cause.

I guess I don't have to tell you that you should upgrade.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe