Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Problem with heap_form_tuple error

On 11/5/2012 10:34 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Stephen Woodbridge <woodbri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
I'm have a problem with heap_form_tuple error
     ERROR:  invalid memory alloc request size 1149502660
I've read through a ton of examples and read through the code and the
docs and I'm sure I'm doing something stupid but I'm not seeing it.

Hm ... you're setting up arguments to heap_form_tuple like this:

              values[1] = CStringGetDatum(pstrdup(stdaddr->building));

This is only correct if the corresponding column of the tupledesc is
declared as being type "cstring", which I'm willing to bet it isn't.
heap_form_tuple does not do any type conversion --- the datums provided
have to be of the right types already.

You could feed the string through the input function for the column's
type, but perhaps what you really ought to do is use
BuildTupleFromCStrings rather than using heap_form_tuple directly.

			regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

Thanks, changing my code to use BuildTupleFromCStrings did the trick. So if I wanted to do some like my code was doing what is the proper way to convert a CString into varchar and then that into Datum?

I tried to follow the source code for BuildTupleFromCStrings but it rapidly got convoluted and was not easy to follow.

Thanks again for the help,
  -Steve