Search Postgresql Archives

Revert TRUNCATE CASCADE?

Hi all,

today I ran into an issue I believed to be a FAQ, but fortunately it doesn't seem so as I could find any resources related to this... :-/

A misguided click in PGADMIN executed a "TRUNCATE CASCADE" on a rather central table of my schema, which resulted in most important tables being emptied. Postgresql (9.0) was cleanly shut down immediately.

Is there any chance to get the data back?

There is a "pg_dumpall" backup from yesterday, and also pg_xlogs from well before the dumpall-file until the TRUNCATE command. Unfortunately, there is no file system backup from the xlog timeframe and as far as I understood the documentation, a DUMP is no valid base for PITR. Time to rework backup practices I guess...

Thank you very much for any advice,
best regards

	-hannes