Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Strategies/Best Practises Handling Large Tables

On 10/12/2012 09:44 AM, Chitra Creta wrote:

4. Creation of daily, monthly, yearly summary tables that contains
aggregated data specific to the statistics required

If the partitioning doesn't help you, I strongly urge you to build one or more Fact tables with appropriate Diminsions. If you don't know what these terms mean, there are lots of books on the subject. They're very versatile for producing fast reports on varying inputs. You can also "layer" them by having cascading levels of aggregation from day -> month -> year, and so on.

These kinds of reporting structures are perfect for huge data accumulation warehouses. The book most recommended to me back in the day was The Data Warehouse Toolkit, and I can also vouch that it covers these subjects pretty well.

I still recommend partitioning simply due to maintenance overhead, but you'll want to look into this too.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534