Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is pg_basebackup also for "regular" backups?

On 10/15/12 2:06 PM, Daniel Serodio (lists) wrote:
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you mean by "based off PITR". Do I need PITR enabled in order to use pg_basebackup, or do you mean that I won't lose the ability to use PITR after restoring from a backup created with pg_basebackup, or do you mean something else?

PITR is a recovery technique, allows you to restore the database to an arbitrary point in time, not neccessarily the latest (so, for instance, you can recover to just before your overzealous assistant adminstrator made a total mess of your accounting system).

to utilize PITR, you need A) a base backup, and B) *all* the WAL archives since that base backup was taken up to the point at which you wish to recover.