Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Help estimating database and WAL size

John R Pierce wrote:
On 10/08/12 1:39 PM, Daniel Serodio (lists) wrote:
3) Estimate the size of the transaction log
** We've got no idea how to estimate this, need advice **

postgres doesn't have a 'transaction log', it has the WAL (Write-Ahead Logs). These are typically 16MB each. on databases with a really heavy write load, I might bump the checkpoint_segments as high as 60, which seems to result in about 120 of them being created, 2GB total. these files get reused, unless you are archiving them to implement a continuous realtime backup system (which enables "PITR", Point in Time Recovery)
Thanks, I was using the term "transaction log" as a synonym for WAL. We're planning on enabling PITR; how can we calculate the WAL size and the WAL archive size in this case?

Regards,
Daniel Serodio