Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres DB Migration from 8.3 to 9.1

On 10/11/12 7:15 PM, Vishalakshi Navaneethakrishnan wrote:
We have our production environment database server in Postgres 8.3 version. we have planned to upgrade to lastest version 9.1. Dump from 8.3 and restore in Postgres 9.1 takes more than 5 hours. Any other quick method to upgrade from 8.3 to 9.1. We need to reduce our downtime below 1 hour. Any Possibilities..?

is it the dump or the restore taking the lions share of that time?

I don't know if pg_upgrade supports 8.3, but that would be one approach. getting it setup to work correctly can require some tinkering, but once you have that sorted, you start with a base backup of the 8.3 file system, and pg_upgrade 'converts' it to the newer version. you need both runtimes setup side by side so either can be run as pg_upgrade will need to start the old version in order to dump its metadata catalogs prior to migrating the data files. if you put both data directories on the same file system, it can use hard linking to 'move' the datafiles.