Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Would my postgresql 8.4.12 profit from doubling RAM?

On 09/29/12 11:43 AM, Jeff Janes wrote:
>http://serverfault.com/questions/433281/doubled-up-ram-to-32-gb-now-how-to-speed-up-a-lapp-server
If you expand the "COMMAND" field of the "top" display (by hitting "c"
on my linux), you can probably see what the top "postmaster" process
is doing.

Anyway, it looks like your server is mostly bored.  If there is a
specific performance problem, it might be in the client side, or
network latency.

assuming the PP stands for PHP + Postgres, another likely candidate for performance issues is PHP opening (and closing) a new connection for each page. use pgbouncer as a connection pool and watch things speed up considerably.