Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Postgres not getting logged in from command prompt

Albe Laurenz wrote:
Himanshu Joshi wrote:
        I am getting a below mentioned strange error while logging
into
postgres from linux command prompt. It is working fine with
GUI(pgAdmin
III). I am using postgres version 8.4SS.
Himanshu
# cd /opt/PostgresPlus/8.4SS/
# bin/psql -Upostgres -p
bin/psql: line 1: bzip2,: command not found
bin/psql: line 3: usage:: command not found
bin/psql: line 5: -h: command not found
bin/psql: line 6: -d: command not found
bin/psql: line 7: -z: command not found
bin/psql: line 8: syntax error near unexpected token `('
bin/psql: line 8: `   -k --keep           keep (don't delete) input
files'
#

I have already given the restart to postgres as well as the server
many
times, but it didnt worked.
Plz suggest any solution for that.

That looks like bin/psql is not an executable but a text file,
which it should not be.

How did you install PostgreSQL?  What is in that file and how
did it get there?

Maybe reinstalling the PostgreSQL software will help.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe
Hi Laurenz,
You were right. bin/psql was overwritten as a text file. I have replaced this corrupted bin/psql file with bin/psql file from another server. So now the postgres it is working fine.
Thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Regards
Himanshu Joshi