Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Clogging problem

On 08/06/2012 05:08 AM, Marek Kielar wrote:
Hi,

to complement information from the previous message:

Dnia 29 lipca 2012 12:29 Marek Kielar <mkielar@xxxxxx> napisał(a):

Hi,

Dnia 28 lipca 2012 1:10 Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx> napisał(a):

What where the deleted files?
    WAL, Logs, other?

at this time - a couple days after restart, the clog hasn't re-formed yet. Thus, I am unable to tell you what files they were, we didn't pay that much attention to it then - there were some WAL files but I can't tell what the actual structure was. I'll provide this information whenever possible.

The clog has somewhat re-formed - the full listing of lsof (filtered for unique files) for postmaster(s) on the database mount is here:
http://BillionUploads.com/ya9kjv78t9es/postmaster_files_sorted.csv.html

FYI you might to consider using some other site for uploads. The above is sort of scary and leads you down all sorts of false paths.

Consecutive commands were issued in a matter of minutes and differ slightly.

Some totals / aggregates:
df – /data	83 141 382 144
du – /data	29 170 365 801
lsof – /data	75 348 037 632
lsof – /data/base	74 975 969 280
lsof – /data/base (deleted)	53 769 936 896
lsof – /data/pg_xlog	369 098 752
lsof – /data/pg_xlog (deleted)	201 326 592
lsof – /data/global	2 965 504

It is clear that the server processes are keeping most of the files from being actually deleted.

Well the nature of database data files is they expand and/or contract as needed. Unless you are getting rid of the actual object they refer to they will not be deleted. The files WAL files in pg_xlog are a different matter, but in the listing you sent they seem to be reasonable. There are a couple of things off the top of my head that can cause data files to expand unnecessarily:
1) Autovacuum is not aggressive enough.
2) There are open transactions keeping old tuples from being removed.

From previous posts, you mentioned a 'permanent' connection to the database. Are you sure it is not holding an open transaction?
The pg_locks view would be a good place to start:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/interactive/view-pg-locks.html

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@xxxxxxxxx