Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Installer problem report with interesting solution

Craig Ringer wrote on 04.08.2012 03:39:
Hi all

On Stack Overflow I was following the efforts of a user who was
unable to install Pg.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11656410/postgresql-installation-issue#comment15679519_11656410

 They've just come back to let me know they found a solution to the
issue, and it's one that might be worth knowing about, saying that
the following resolved their issue:

http://www.geekscribes.net/blog/2009/04/22/postgresql-database-cluster-initialisation-failed-solution/

 Basically, they had to install in a non-default location outside
Program Files.

Odd.

8.3 would put the data directory right into the install directory if I'm not mistaken.
It's not really surprising that this won't work.

It should also work if installed into program files but then a different location for the
data directory is chosen during installation. If I remember correctly the 8.3 installer
didn't make that easy to find.