Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Switching from OSX to Linux, multi-line queries in \copy don't work anymore

Craig Ringer wrote:
On 07/27/2012 09:28 PM, Ryan Kelly wrote:
I recently switched from OSX to Linux and \copy in psql no longer
accepts multi-line queries. For instance:

\copy (
     select
         *
     from
         pg_settings
) to '/tmp/settings.csv' with csv header

This works fine on OSX. On Linux I get:
\copy: parse error at end of line

Am I missing something here?
A wild guess: I'd say this is a consequence of the fact that psql on OS X uses libedit, on Linux it uses readline.

Personally I had no idea that multiline \copy was possible at all. I've always though the way backslash commands are EOL-terminated while everything else is semicolon terminated is a bit of a wart, though.

I don't have an answer for you. Using the --no-readline argument makes no difference on my 9.1.4 here. This may just be an area where libedit is smarter than readline - or it might be that I'm totally wrong and the real issue is something else entirely.

Thanks for making the effort to produce a good post with all the detailed version info, exact error text, etc.

Also appear to get it here on single-line queries:

markMLl=> \copy (select * from pg_settings) to '/tmp/settings.csv' with csv header;
\copy: parse error at "select"
markMLl=>

However my psql and server are rather old which could be an issue (8.1.19 to server 8.4 if I recall correctly).

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk