Search Postgresql Archives

Re: BI tools and postgresql

On 26/07/2012 15:04, Vincent Veyron wrote:
The money spent in licences alone would pay for scores of developpers to
produce any kind of reporting you will need many times over (the data
and its structure is what counts, reporting is easy if you have that)

I disagree that licences will cover reporting costs...

I come from the other end of the spectrum. We provide reporting systems
for telco's banks etc. These are relatively stable, carefully designed
reports going to either a small number of high profile clients or
to a large number of end users.

When we installed a system for a UK telco some years ago it ended up
being the biggest outsourced print job in europe. It took up two
exchange trunks for data and ran a months reports iin a few days.

Initially the reporting hardware was three(ish) mid range sun desktops :-)

We dont "do" generic reporting systems - our target audience are
established complex and configurable reports that are run
periodically and take up lots of manula or system resources.

If the Op wants more detail I can pass provide $boss's email address
but as I say it is more of a niche reporting product.

Jacqui

p.s. I am interested in this thread as I have a clinet who has a larg(ish)
PG db and creates ad-hoc crosstab style reports. If I can find a tool he could
use  - he is a salesman and very non technical :-)

At the mo I am building reporting tables and using thsi to populate
crosstabs in openoffice using datapilot - crude but alot faster than
the existing solution which involves manually calcing each cell in
the crosstab :-/ openoffice replaces weeks of work with no more
that an hours report design/config.