Search Postgresql Archives

Ignore hash indices on replicas

I'm using Postgres hash indices on a streaming replica master.
As is documented, hash indices are not logged, so the replica does not have access to them.

I understand that the current wisdom is "don't use hash indices", but (unfortunately?) I have benchmarks that
show that our particular application is faster by quite a bit when a hash index is available.

I assume that fixing the hash index logging issue hasn't been a priority due to low interest / technical limitations, but I'm curious for a stopgap measure -- can we somehow configure Postgres to ignore hash indices on a replica, using other b-tree indices or even a sequential scan?  I know I can do this on a per-connection basis by disabling various index lookup methods, but it'd be nice if it just ignored invalid indices on its own.

I've not seen much reference to this problem around, but I do apologize if I've missed it in the manual or it is extremely obvious how you do this :)

Thanks,
Steven