Search Postgresql Archives

Re: errors with high connections rate

On 07/03/12 12:34 AM, Craig Ringer wrote:
I'm seriously impressed that your system is working under load at all with 800 concurrent connections fighting to write all at once.

indeed, in my transactional benchmarks on a 12 core, 24 thread dual xeon x5600 class systems, with 16 or 20 spindle raid10, I find somewherre around 50 to 80 database connection threads has the highest overall throughput (several thousand OLTP transactions/second). this hardware has vastly better IO and CPU performance than any AWS virtual machine.

as craig suggested, your network threads could put the incoming requests into queue(s), and run a tunable number of database connection threads that take requests out of the queue and send them to the database, and if neccessary, return results to the network thread. doing this will give better CPU utilization, you can try different database worker thread counts til you hit the optimal number for your hardware.