Search Postgresql Archives

Re: How to create c language in postgresql database. Thanks.

On 06/13/2012 12:45 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM, John R Pierce <pierce@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 06/12/12 11:25 AM, leaf_yxj wrote:
Thanks. You guys are right. I check the database. The C programm is there.
   ----- but why our application team keep ask me to give them the superuser
privileges to create the C function. Should they use the superuser to create
the C function. if yes , why they need it?

yes, only a sql superuser can define a C function, as these have total
access to crashing postgres's innards.

Not just the innards, but the file system (could be used to overwrite
data files), arbitrary system commands, etc......
Hopefully not arbitrary system commands, in that I really hope nobody's nuts enough to run PostgreSQL as root or with write access to its own binaries. The data files are fair game, though, and replacement/modification of commands is probably possible in weaker installations.

--
Craig Ringer