Search Postgresql Archives

Re: how to amend SQL standard to add comments?

Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote on 06.05.2012 19:24:
Situation:  When a system administrator or database administrator looks at
a gnarly SQL query chewing up system resources, there is no way to tell
by looking at the query server-side which application it came from, what its
purpose is, and who the author or responsible party is.

Data: in ANSI SQL standard, you can put single-line comments by preceeding
the line with a double-hyphen.  These comments will be thrown away by the
database client and the server will never see them.  Hence the metadata
(the data about the query itself) is lost.

I propose it'd be a benefit, in today's day of distributed and inter-dependent
systems, to pass that data along with the query so that it could be used
in troubleshooting if needed.

An SQL comment may look something like

SELECT STUDENT_ID from STUDENTS
   WHERE LAST_NAME = 'Smith' and FIRST_NAME = 'Joe'
   COMMENT 'Query Author: Bob Programmer.   Purpose: Pull the student ID
                       number, we'll need it to enroll the student for classes.';

You can use multi-line comments with /* .. */ to send this information to the server:

SELECT /* Query Author: Bob Programmer.
          Purpose: Pull the student ID number, we'll need it to enroll the student for classes */
     STUDENT_ID
from STUDENTS
WHERE LAST_NAME = 'Smith' and FIRST_NAME = 'Joe';

Regards
Thomas