Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Large Databases redux

On 03/21/12 2:18 PM, Jason Herr wrote:
I have my own theories based on what I've read and my puttering. I think I can get away with a disk for the OS, disk for the WAL, disk for the large table (tablespaces) and a disk for the rest. And when I say disk I mean storage device. I'm thinking RAID1 15k disks for each set but the databases and then raid 10 or VERY large disks.

I think you're better off just making one big raid10 out of all the disks and putting everything on it, maybe in different file systems to seperate out file fragmentation. this way the IO workload is evenly distributed across all the disks.