Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql.conf evaluation of duplicate keys

On 03/21/2012 07:02 AM, Martin Gerdes wrote:
I've got a question relating to how the postgres configuration is parsed:

If I write into the following into postgresql.conf:
shared_buffers = 24MB
shared_buffers = 32MB

and start up postgres, the command 'show shared_buffers;' answers '32MB'. That means the later value in the configuration file took precedence. Which is great and what I would expect. Now the question: Is this just a happy accident and could change at any time, or is this documented and guaranteed behaviour (and if so, can you point me to the relevant documentation)? I tried to search for it, but my google foo is just not strong enough :-)

Answer to the (probably) inevitable question: "What are you trying to achieve?" : I am trying to define a set of defaults, which will get deployed to multiple servers, and will be overwritten automatically. Yet I also want to have the option to change individual parameters on one server. So I want to introduce a line "#==do not modify above this line==". Everything above the line will be replaced, everything below it left untouched. So if postgres is actually also parsing a file "postgresql.local" whose values are guaranteed to take precedence over "postgresql.conf", that would solve my problem as well.

Many thanks in advance!

Martin

I'm doing basically the same thing except my postgresql.conf "includes" a "server.conf" and the server.conf would contain any overrides.

I am counting on the behavior you mentioned above to allow this to happen as well.

Dave