Search Postgresql Archives

Re: POSTGRESQL Newbie

Marti Raudsepp, 21.03.2012 12:35:
E.g. VACUUM/ANALYZE needed to be ran manually and it used to take an
*exclusive* lock on tables, for longish periods, preventing any
queries! Failure to vacuum would cause the files to bloat without
limit and slow down your queries gradually. In the worst case, you hit
XID wraparound and the database would shut down entirely.

Even still in 8.3 (which was newest until 2009) with autovacuum, if
you got max_fsm_pages tuned wrong, vacuum would basically stop
functioning and your tables would bloat.

I still see the vacuum part as one of the major deficiencies of PostgreSQL (that and the very limited partitioning features).
I know that all DBMS (that use MVCC) do it in some way or the other, but I know of no other where it is such a "prominent" maintenance task.

Thomas